Since 2014 we have built 50 homes for 212 children. We believe that every child deserves to have a roof over their head, a comfortable bed to sleep on and a safe place of shelter in which they can also study.
As part of our annual house building trip, international volunteers have been involved in the construction of 36% of the homes we have built to date. Each year, along with local volunteers and workers, you have the chance to be part of a team that can lay the foundations to a brighter future for kids in Kenya.
Our GEF Kenya Trips are back for the first time since 2019!
Upcoming trip dates: 22nd July to 4th Aug 2023: with options to add a Kenya Adventure week beforehand and/or a 3-day Maasai Mara Safari at end.
Each year, this unique opportunity to build houses in Kenya, offers you the trip of a lifetime. Our trips are offered at cost price and in addition we kindly ask each volunteer to raise a minimum of £1,000 towards the cost of building materials, land, solar panels, furniture and the leasing of an additional plot of land for each family to use for farming. The 2023 building project will take place in Karatina, Kenya.
The standard 14-day trip package costs in the region of £1,200 and includes:
- Guests arrive any time into Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta International Airport
- Transportation to hotel in Nairobi - dinner, bed & breakfast included
- Internal flight to Eldoret and drive to Iten
- Check in to Hotel
- Visit GEF village/building site and the 4 families we will be building for
- Building houses
- Officially open new houses
- Internal flight to Nairobi - Check in to hotel for 2 night
- Relax by pool at hotel
- Optional activities
- David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage
- Giraffe Centre
- Fly home after 10pm
- Depart Hotel 8am
- 7 hour drive to Maasai Mara
- Check into the camp
- Evening game drive
- Full day game drive and sunset (weather dependant)
- Depart camp 9am for 6-7 hour drive with lunch stop
- Arrive back at Nairobi - Fly home after 10pm
This optional 3 day safari costs £575.
A comprehensive information document can be provided on request, covering everything you need to know including costs for each of the above itinerary options and details of the families we aim to build new homes for.
We also welcome companies or individuals that may be in a position to sponsor elements of the building work. Sponsors play a huge role in making it possible for us to build the target number of houses on each trip; enabling us to purchase the likes of timber, iron sheet, windows, doors, land, tools and team t-shirts.
Please get in touch with any questions, to sign up to the trip or to receive the full volunteer information document and/or sponsorship package info.