Why not register now to run, jog, walk or cycle in an event to support the Gathimba Edwards Foundation?
Throughout the year we are involved in a number of local runs and can offer charity spots
If our official event dates are unsuitable for you why not sign up to a different event and raise money for GEF to help us improve lives of children in Kenya.
One suggestion is the Kiltwalk events which take place throughout the year all over Scotland. By signing up in aid of the Gathimba Edwards Foundation, every penny you raise, will be topped up with 50% thanks to the Hunter Foundation. Each of the four events have three challenges to choose from - the FIVE mile walk, FIFTEEN mile walk and the TWENTY SIX mile walk. There is a Kiltwalk for everyone!
Over the years some of our supporters have raised money for us in a variety of different ways, from zip-line adventures to cycle challenges to race nights and more. Here are a just few examples:
- Three of our fundraising heroes, Drew, Amy and Jade, ran the Great Scottish Run in 2015 and raised £3,315. This money helped us build a 16 bed dormitory with study room, living area and shower facility at Pavilion Village children's home and a 3 bedroom house for Judy Gathigia and her family.
- Mat Northcroft cycled 250 miles in ONE day round the North East 250 route and 'Beat the Sun' by starting at sunrise and finishing before the sunset that day. He raised an incredible £1,589 which went towards the July 2018 house building trip in Iten.
- Alan Brown, at the age of 62, took on a challenge to run 15 miles every morning for seven days, totalling 105 miles or 4 marathons in a week. In his efforts he raised an almighty £3,347 for the foundation. This money went to the medical bills of Ephraim Mwangi, who Alan met in Kenya in April 2018 along his wife Beth and their daughters Abigail & Juliet. Ephraim was knocked off his bike in 2017 resulting in a broken femur and continuing infections. Unable to work and cover the medical bills, Alan's challenge helped the Mwangi family pay off these bills.
- Jason Topley took part in what is described as the toughest footrace on earth. The Marathon des Sables (MDS 33rd) sees competitors cover the equivalent of five and a half marathons in five days, in searing temperatures that often top 50 degrees Celsius. The distance was about 256 km – that’s 156 mile; Jason did it and in the process raised an fantastic £2,585 for GEF.
- Neil McArthur, our very own Trustee, at the age of 75 walked up Bennachie hill in Aberdeenshire everyday throughout May; that's 31 days come rain or shine... and there was a lot of rain! In his efforts he raised an incredible £8,387 enabling GEF to pay the school fees of 21 children for a whole year and improving the homes of 4 families in need. Neil's friend, Susie Bearwell made a wonderful short film to celebrate his journey and show the impact of his fundraising. You can watch it here.
Should you wish to be a fundraising hero we will send you a GEF race vest or t-shirt and one of our famous GEF bracelets.
Set up your Total Giving link in 3 easy steps: Create your page, share with your friends and raise money for charity!
More details can be found at the following link: http://www.totalgiving.co.uk/charity/gathimba-edwards-foundation
The site is also a great way to see how other people have raised money for the foundation and help get some ideas of your own!
Thank you for your support!